Monday, December 10, 2007

COOOKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE


I'm baking cookies today!

You KNOW I must be feeling better. I have the day off. Yesterday (Sunday) I prepared the dough and filling for one of mom's classic holiday cookies - Date Nut Pinwheels. DELISH!

You make the dough and filling separately and chill them overnight. Today I rolled out the dough, spread the (very thick) filling and am now freezing them for a bit so they will slice easily.


I've made these a million times, but I had to call my sister Friday night to make sure I had MOM's recipie. Janel was up late packing for her ski trip to Montana, so she wasn't upset with me calling late, and fortunately (such organized sisters) she had it right at hand and it took only three minutes away from her packing. Hope there's a lot of snow in Montana this week!


Yesterday I called my sister-in-law, Carol, to get the recipie for Nut Butter Balls. Others call them Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Tea Cakes, etc. but I wanted the one that makes real moist, melty butter cookies, not these dry crumbly things most people have. Anyway, Carol had her mom's recipie right to hand and it matched my memory of the proportions my mom used to use, so those are next to put together.


Third will be Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies - my personal lifetime favorite cookie. I hope I can get to them today, but if not, I still have lots of time before I leave for my daughter's place on the 21st. I have to make sure to not eat them all up ahead of time!
Time to slice the pinwheels - more later....


No comments: