Saturday, October 6, 2007

Disability

It's Saturday, and I am needing to work on all this paperwork from Social Security today. YUCK! Because I am diagnosed with a Stage 4 cancer, I have to prepare for the very real possibility that I will become completely disabled at some (hopefully not too soon!) point. Right now I'm only managing to work part time. Partly because of the Chemo treatments themselves, and partly because of the fatigue they cause.

I'm so VERY fortunate right now that I am in very little pain. I'm also fortunate that I have such a wonderful boss who is letting me adjust my hours to whatever I can manage. I don't know WHAT I would do if I wasn't able to work at all. What would I live on? As it is, the reduced hours are making it virtually impossible to pay rent and utilities! So, I've applied for Social Security Disability.

It takes months for them to process this request. I just got two HUGE forms in the mail that I have to fill out this weekend. One is my job history (since birth I think!) The other is pages and pages to fill out of everything that is "wrong" with me. Such Fun! The biggest problem, of course, is how to predict how I will be feeling from day to day, let alone in the future.

I'd much rather be blogging!

1 comment:

Linky Love said...

Hi Patti,

Just dropping by to give you a hug and lookig forward for your updates!

SK
http://www.metastaticlivercancer.org