Friday, April 4, 2008

second Opinion Not necessary

Got a letter today from my "insurance" company. In their infinite wisdom they have determined that even though I have a rare cancer diagnosis of "unknown primary" and recently an even rare-er diagnosis of bile duct cancer, that it really is not of any use to have me go see someplace that specializes in these rare sorts of cancers.

All you have to do is look up second opinions on the web and you will find that EVERY reliable cancer source tells you that a second opinion is not only your right, but a very necessary thing in many circumstances. The biggest circumstances are when you have a terminal cancer that doesn't have a cure recommendation and even more so if you have a rare cancer that not every place is expert in dealing with.

What's not rare about bile duct cancer? on top of Unknown primary? Both are considered rare, both are automatic disability qualifications, both are quickly fatal without treatment and both have many questionable therapies.

But, Pima Health Systems decided to refuse me a second opinion. Their reason:
"AHCCCS does not pay for second opinions unless you have a medical need for it. The notes we have from your doctor do not show that you have a medical need for this second opinion. Please talk to your doctor for help with this."

I'd been in almost daily contact with these folks, trying to get them all of the information they would only parcel out bit by bit. I was working so hard to get it approved before they cut off my insurance completely on April 1st. The letter, dated April 1st. denied any need. I guess even if they didn't pay for it, they believe that there is no use in getting a second opinion on a fatal short prognosis cancer. Heck, I'll be dead before I can effectively protest!

2 comments:

Murray said...

Patty My wife has CUP/biliary. showed at last PET I have searched the country for the best doctors and trials and I have some info to share Even though we have an HMO, we got unlimited treatments out of state at a great doc. email me 4 more info read your coverage handbook about appeals

Murray said...

Patty,

Since you live in AZ, contact Liz Campbell lcampbell@tgen.org of Dr. Daniel Von Hoff's office. He is one of the best in the country and evals for trials and the trial itself may be helpful
www.tgen.org