Thursday, July 24, 2008

Regaining Perspective

Wow, I was blown away today to see that someone commented on my post! Thank you! Your note was so caring and concerned that I just busted out in some tears! Some good ones.

Despite how low I was feeling my last post, I do not think that I am getting "substandard care" or anything like that. I think my situation just falls into a lump where the most likely thing is progression (albeit slower than they thought before, thank God!).

I have sought for other opinions and both agreed that I am on the best course. I just don't have to like it! :) And I am going to a well respected cancer center, so in my more rational moments, I think I'm being given good care. I DO think that people who are famous or wealthy (or with excellent insurance) are often offered care opportunities that others of us are not. That's my opinion although I doubt if I could really prove it! Be that as it may, I've GOT insurance, I am GETTING treatment, and so far I'm still healthy (as can be) and functioning fine.

So thank you Anonymous poster, you helped me get back some perspective. I hope so much for good news for your father. I hated having "unknown primary" and still am not trusting entirely that they "know" that I have bile duct cancer. Too many "if's" in their comments.

I've also started seeing a therapist to work on some of the "stuff" that is coming up concerning having an incurable cancer and a lousy prognosis. I think it will do some good. I met with her this week and we talked about anger. Whew! That was pretty heavy duty. She told me that lots of emotions are bound to come up, that things that happened in the past may seem to have other imports now, and that I probably have many regrets, resentments, feelings about things that have happened that I have the "opportunity" now to re-assess and hopefully process and let go.
I sure do! We talked about my ex-husband and the effect he's had on my relationship with my daughter and I thought I was going to burst! It was good to get an outsider's perspective and support. Hard to do, but good. I want to get to a peaceful place about myself and all the mistakes I've made in my life and all the good things and things not done - all of that. The only way I can see to do that is to open myself up and take a look.

This cancer thing has a big effect - physically, of course, and emotionally, philosophically, socially, every way. Mostly I try not to think about it and go about day to day, but I am beginning to realize that if I pretend that it's not causing changes in me, and around me, I will miss some important stuff.

I'm off for my annual physical. Seems weird to have to go see my Primary Dr. to get my blood tests for hypothyroidism (been taking thyroid since my mid 30's!) but health is pretty compartmentalized. Regular health stuff still happens!

No comments: