Thursday, July 24, 2008

Just how big is it?

I visited a site today by a guy in his 40's who has pancreatic cancer. I spent an hour or more following his posts. Since pancreatic cancer is sort of similar to bile duct (rare, deadly, hard to treat) I was fascinated by his perspective and experiences. One thing he posted was a graphic of relative sizes of tumors - ie: Just how big are they?


I've had people ask me how big a tumor(s) do I have and haven't known how to describe them since most of us "americans" don't know a centimeter from a caterpillar.

On my original CT scan I had 5 tumors in my liver:
3.2 x 3.8 cm
3.1x3.8 cm
3.0x3.8 cm
2.6x3.9 cm
and
3.0x3.1 cm

So all of them are about midway between the size of a peanut and the size of a walnut.
Interesting. Added together it sounds awful - 15 x 19 cm or so? YUCK! What's that, about the size of a medium orange?

Of course I have numerous (we don't know How numerous) other smaller masses that they don't measure, that are apparently smaller than 2 cm, but that's another story.

I also liked the title of his Blog - I'm not dead yet! (see my list on the side for a link.) I've been tempted to respond with that phrase a few times when people have asked me how I'm doing, but I don't want to give anyone a heart attack! :)

He has a video clip of the Monty Python segment where that phrase is used. If I can figure out how to borrow it, I'll post it here - it's hysterical!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patti,

I'm glad you liked the monty python clip. Search for "I'm not dead yet" on YouTube and you'll find it or one like it.

I thought the graph of the relative tumor sizes was really helpful. I'm sorry you are having such difficulties. I certainly understand how challenging it can be not knowing what's going on.

There was a point at which my gastroenterologist thought I might have had bile duct cancer, but he kept saying that my body was not responding like I had cancer. Little did we know then it was pancreas cancer.

I am glad you have enjoyed my blog; it really is an example of the mindset I am trying to keep...as long as I am still breathing, I'm Not Dead Yet! (I even have t-shirts with that on it!)

Hang in there! Good luck and feel free to contact me if you'd like.

Unknown said...

http://twitter.com/merlecheats